Chicago

The all 'Tones talk area.

Chicago

Postby jen17 » Mon Dec 14, 2009 1:11 pm

Hello out there!
Was anyone at the Chicago show?
I thought they blew the roof off the place. If you were there, what did you think?
jen17

Re: Chicago

Postby PointSpecial » Thu Dec 31, 2009 3:58 pm

I thought so too. This was my third Flecktones show and first after about 5 years... I certainly didn't walk away unhappy! I got a Groupon Ticket too, so it was half price. Woo Hoo!

I'm glad, too, because a copy of the show already showed up on Archive.org HERE

I do have one question about the show... or, rather, a part of it. In Big Country (track # 15) at around the 7 minute mark, Casey Driessen is soloing and does a tease at a different song... I totally recognize it, but I can't put my finger on it. Can someone help me out with it? I don't necessarily think it's a Flecktones song... maybe a bluegrass one? I don't know!
PointSpecial

Postby jen17 » Mon Jan 04, 2010 1:23 pm

Thanks for putting up the link to the concert. That show was fantastic. I am still smiling about it.

By the way, the person who recorded and posted the music to the archives site has some great photos of the concert. His site is: www.stealyourfacephotos.com. I met him at the concert. He was in the photographers' pit and took some great pics.

I listened to Big Country again (awesome). I tried to listen hard around the 7 minute mark. I don't know the answer to your question. That part reminds me of a song by The String Cheese Incident, but that is all I have. Surely, the more seasoned veterans than me on this board might have the answer or better guesses!
jen17

Postby HopeL » Mon Jan 04, 2010 8:26 pm

PointSpecial wrote:I thought so too. This was my third Flecktones show and first after about 5 years... I certainly didn't walk away unhappy! I got a Groupon Ticket too, so it was half price. Woo Hoo!

I'm glad, too, because a copy of the show already showed up on Archive.org HERE

I do have one question about the show... or, rather, a part of it. In Big Country (track # 15) at around the 7 minute mark, Casey Driessen is soloing and does a tease at a different song... I totally recognize it, but I can't put my finger on it. Can someone help me out with it? I don't necessarily think it's a Flecktones song... maybe a bluegrass one? I don't know!

O.K. guys, I've avoided listening for quite sometime now but I finally caved this evening. About Big Country, around the 7 minute mark...
Gosh, what a wondreful performance of my favorite. Thanks so much for bringing this to the attention of the Forum. Traditionally there is a spot for a good jam in the 3rd quarter of Big Country. It is my best guess that is exactly what we are hearing here, going from the main band to a down right GREAT Bela, Casey & Jeff Blowout Jam with a little Bela & Casey brotherhood of the Banjo and Fiddle thrown in there. If I'm wrong, oh well, I'm wrong, but I continue to hear the banjo part being played and tweeked on the fiddle.

I'm now kicking myself for missing this show! :(

Hope Lin :geek:
HopeL

Postby Bumbershoot » Mon Jan 04, 2010 11:46 pm

I didn't recognize that part either, it just sounded like an awesome improvised fiddle solo to me!
Bumbershoot

Postby jen17 » Tue Jan 05, 2010 9:18 am

I think you're both right. I listened again.

The Chicago show was just great. I can't say enough about it. And, yes, Big Country (one of my all time faves too) was just spectacular.

I brought a friend who had never heard the Flecktones before (what? do you live in a cave?). It was so much fun to watch her reaction. She absolutely loved it! I cannot wait for the next concert.
jen17

Postby darkstar » Tue Jan 05, 2010 10:31 pm

I saw a post that says this tune being played at the 7 minute mark is Down in the Swamp from Bela's 1988 album Drive. There is some great footage of this show up on YouTube.
I hope every one had, and will have, a happy new year.

Keep the faith

Sean
darkstar

Postby Bumbershoot » Wed Jan 06, 2010 11:04 am

I went back and listened to it again, and I think you're right! I didn't recognize it at such a fast tempo- yeah, that's my excuse.
Bumbershoot

Postby PointSpecial » Sat Jan 09, 2010 2:46 am

Yep, that's the one! To be honest, I originally thought it might be a String Cheese song myself... I wonder if they've either played it (or part of it) or if they've just got a similar song...

The original definitely is slower, but I knew I'd heard it before... For those of you not familiar, you can hear the orig below:

http://www.last.fm/music/B%C3%A9la+Flec ... +the+Swamp

Bela gives Vic a little look at about the 7:01 mark as they go into it and the chord progression changes.

I've gotta dig down into my Big Country recordings and see if I've ever heard them do that tease before... it worked really well!!
PointSpecial

Postby jen17 » Mon Jan 11, 2010 12:53 pm

Wow! You guys are good!!!
jen17

Next

Return to Flecktones